July 11, 2019 | 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
The first thursday of every month will be a bookbinding meetup sponsored by Make Salt Lake and open to all, you don’t have to be a member of Make Salt Lake or the Utah Arts Alliance to join us.
We will learn case binding, long stitch, accordion, japanese stab binding, coptic, pop ups and anything requested we can figure out together. This first meetup will focus on long stitch binding.
I have some supplies to share but if you intend to practice at home and continue with the meetup long-term you will need:
• Self Healing mat (at least 8×10 but larger is better)
• cutter/blade/box knife to cut paper
• a metal ruler
• linen thread
• an awl
• book cloth
• wax paper
• Pva glue (poly vinyl acetate)
• bookbinding needles, tapestry needles will work, they need to be large enough for the linen thread
• book/chip board
• paper for the filler, decorative, plain, etc.
I will adjust this list as needed.
You can buy from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com), Talas (http://talasonline.com/), Hollanders (http://www.hollanders.com/index.php/bookbinding-supplies.html) or Dick Blick (http://www.dickblick.com/categories/bookmaking/)
The local art store is Dick Blick, formerly Utrecht on 2100 S and 1025 E open Mo-Fr: 9-7 Sa: 9-5 Closed Sunday
or Joann’s, Michael’s or Hobby Lobby.